P&R I 10c Rivadavia Red

This sub-forum is dedicated to one of the most interesting and complex definitive series in 20th Century philately: the Argentina 1935-51 Definitives

Moderador: Rein

Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: P&R I 10c Rivadavia Red

Mensaje por Rein »

From a nomenclatural point of view we have here the problem of the traditional Argentina numbering of design types!

In Argentina the 10c Rivadavia has 4 design types - two for the typography stamps and 2 for the offset-litho and they were numbered consecutively I-IV!

Each printing process, however, requires its own way of preparing the printing plate or cylinders and it is advisable to study the history of these in all printing processes separately! This implies a separate numbering system for the offset-litho stamps!

And that is what I have been doing from the beginning assigning the various design types of the offset-litho stamps with the codes A-C. A-B for the traditional IV-III [they were strangely inverted notwithstanding their chronology!] and adding C after discovering a completely new type!

What about the typography stamps? We ought to separate the sheet-fed printing from the reel-fed printing as these printing methods involve different ways of preparing plates [sheet-fed] or cylinders [reel-fed]. Can the designs be distinguished??? So far we have two types within the sheet-fed printing. Type I and type II [for sheet-fed]. They consist no problem! Problematic is the distinction of type II between sheet-fed and reel-fed! As to the design there is none - at least we have not found it - but as to size there is although hardly measurable. The easiest way to distinguish them is to measure the heart-to-heart [of the perforation holes] height of the stamps: 30.5mm [sheet-fed] and 30.0mm [reel-fed].

We should split up the 10c red type II in sheet-fed and reel-fed BEFORE looking for sub-types!

to be continued .....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

PARTE 3
VARIEDADES
Las variedades, por llamarlas de alguna manera, son minúsculas alteraciones al diseño base originadas por múltiples factores.
Las que muestro aquí pretenden estar sujetas a las siguientes condiciones:

1.- No ocurren simultáneamente. Es decir, si un sello posee la variedad 1, no tiene la variedad 2. Para esto es necesario que quienes salgan a buscar estas variedades en sus stocks corroboren esta afirmación. Si llegara a darse la simultaneidad, serían retiradas ambas como variedad hasta estudiar cual de ellas se antecede cronológicamente a fin de perfeccionar el árbol taxonómico.

2.- Tengo en mi haber al menos 3 ejemplares. Mayormente poseo 4 o más de cada variedad, sin embargo cuando se esté frente a sólo tres, se expondrá de forma explícita.

Sigue..
Studying the characteristics of these stamps that occur in particular areas of the plates/cylinders is absolutely necessary! And demands the cooperation of many collectors, however, we have to bear in mind that the various methods by which the plates/cylinder had been prepared imply that certain characteristics may be more frequent in a plate/cylinder than others that will occur only once per 200!

And another aspect that is easily forgotten is that the cylinder for the 10c red was used for the 10c chestnut-brown as well!

Therefore we may have to start splitting up our 10c stamps accordingly:

- type I - sheet-fed plates, root block of 5x5 or 5x2 - 10c red only
- type II - sheet-fed plates, root block of 5x5 or 5x2 - 10c red only
- type III - reel-fed cylinder, NO root block!! - 10c red and 10c chestnut-brown
- type IV - reel-fed cylinder, root-block of 5x2? 10c chestnut-brown only

The subdivision of type III in subtypes A, B and C; all of them may occur simultaneously on ONE cylinder in an irregular distribution. The very first SETTING of the cylinder may have had subtype A only....

Studying all stamps and finding characteristics we should be aware of the fact that when a root block is involved we can find them in a proportion of 1:25 or 1:10 that is 8 times per counter-sheet or 20 times per counter-sheet! The root block characteristics are a SEPARATE category and should be distinguished from the characteristics that occur only ONCE per counter sheet!

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Parte 4
Aquí empiezo a mostrar algunas variedades...

TIPO II: Casilla del nombre del prócer con el borde izquierdo cargado de líneas y puntos.
SUBTIPO X: Sin raya en parte inferior del jabot, a la izquierda de la casilla del valor.
CLASE ROT: Impresión alimentada por bobinas, rotativa
ORDEN a: Punto en marco, sobre la primera “N” de “BERNARDINO”.
VARIEDAD: 1 ( code: 370b-TYP2-X-ROT-a.1 )
DETALLE: punto dentro de la segunda letra “N” del nombre “Bernardino”.

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Sigue....
We have here one of the subsubtypes of subtype III of type III, i.e. reel-fed printing, no root block [type III] but with a very important characteristic of which we have found only 3 of them:

- subtype I - no apparent over-all characteristics ; due to flawed printing of the following subtypes, may can always fall-back on subtype I as we cannot decide about assigning a stamp to subtype II or subtype III!
- subtype II - horizontal scratch above the 3rd "A" of 'Rivadavia"
- subtype III - dot above the 1st "N" of "Bernardino"

So far as we have studied the 10c! But even today we may find out that this subdivision is NOT adequate!

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Parte 5

TIPO II: Casilla del nombre del prócer con el borde izquierdo cargado de líneas y puntos.
SUBTIPO X: Sin raya en parte inferior del jabot, a la izquierda de la casilla del valor.
VARIEDAD: 2 ( CODE: 370b-TYP2-X-ROT-a.2 )
DETALLE: punto debajo y entre las letras “D” e “I” del nombre “Bernardino”.

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Sigue...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Parte 6

VARIEDAD: 3 ( code: 370b-TYP2-X-ROT-a.3 )
DETALLE: punto rojo dentro de la letra “B” de “República”.
Cuidado: existe otra variedad muy similar, pero hay un corrimiento hacia abajo-derecha de dicho punto.

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Sigue
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

CastañoOcre escribió:Parte 7

VARIEDAD: 4 ( code: 370b-TYP2-X-ROT-a.4 )
DETALLE: mancha en forma de acento sobre la 1era. “A” de “Rivadavia”.
(NOTA: Sólo 3 ejemplares. Existe una leve diferencia en la forma de la mancha, pero ocurre en el mismo lugar)

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Sigue...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

CastañoOcre escribió:Parte 8.

VARIEDAD: 5 ( code: 370b-TYP2-X-ROT-a.5 )
DETALLES:
Punto rojo en el interior de la letra “R” de “Argentina”.
Punto debajo y entre las letras “N” y “O” de la palabra “BERNARDINO” en la casilla del nombre del prócer.

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Sigue...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

So far Guillermo has found and displayed 5 versions of type IIA and I should get back to the various versions of type III I described some time ago and published here!

Getting back to resume what I have published before in terms of types:

type I - sheet-fed 10c red
type II - sheet-fed 10c red
type II - reel-fed 10c red; 10c chestnut-brown
type IIA - reel-fed 10c red; 10c chestnut-brown
type III - reel-fed 10c red; 10c chestnut-brown
type IV - reel-fed 10c chestnut-brown

Thanks to Guillermo's research and the re-newed research it triggered with me, I tend just to make a few amends:

type I - sheet-fed 10c red
type II - sheet-fed 10c red
type II - reel-fed 10c red
type IIA - reel-fed 10c red; 10c chestnut-brown
type III - reel-fed 10c red; 10c chestnut-brown
type IV - reel-fed 10c chestnut-brown

It seems that type II-reel-fed does ONLY exist in the beginning of the reel-fed printings! This is likely as both type IIA and type III have a minor characteristic in common that type II-reel-fed does not have! A minor characteristic discovered by me just today!

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Guillermo Sosa has displayed here some 5 characteristics within type IIA!

Here the first of these 5 - the tiny dot inside the "N":

Imagen
Imagen

This tiny dot is NEW and was not present in the type II-reel-fed stamps!

Imagen

Imagen

pay attention to wide the correction teeth resulting in the stamp getting higher that 30.0mm!

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen
Imagen

This cylinder in various settings had been used for the 10c chestnut-brown as well!

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Here the first characteristic not yet mentioned by him - the tiny dot inside the "A":

Imagen
Imagen

This tiny dot at the right is NEW and was not present in the type II-reel-fed stamps!

Imagen

The other dot at the left goes with the dot in "A"!

This cylinder in various settings had been used for the 10c chestnut-brown as well!

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Here the third characteristic mentioned by him - the tiny dot inside the "B":

Imagen
Imagen

This tiny dot is NEW and was not present in the type II-reel-fed stamps!

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Rein escribió:Guillermo Sosa has displayed here some 5 characteristics within type IIA!

Here the first characteristic not yet mentioned by him - the tiny dot inside the "A":

Imagen
Imagen

This tiny dot at the right is NEW and was not present in the type II-reel-fed stamps!

Imagen

The other dot at the left goes with the dot in "A"!

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ....
So far I couldn't find Guillermo's variety no 2 in both my red and chestnut-brown stamps!

I know now why! In fact these characteristics belong to the same stamps with the dot in the "A'' !! And the dot next to the "D" has practically disappeared in the chestnut-brown stamps!

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ...
CastañoOcre
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Canje de Sellos: Si
Contactar:

Mensaje por CastañoOcre »

The dot inside the "A" it's only a subdivision of the type with the dot betwen and under letters "D" and "I" of the name Bernardino.
It's seem that the order is: Type II -->> Type IIA (dot in the frame above de N of Bernardino) -->> dot under and between "D" and "I" -->> with and without the dot inside letter "A" of Republica. See images:

Imagen

Guillermo
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Guillermo and Rein:
Have you noticed the "grilled" background in the 10c chesnut Rivadavia perfin? (In other ohiti too) I understand this effect is provoked by the strucuture of paper that altered the felt side, enhanced by or during the coating process. I would like to hear your opinions as this effect is very common but up to now no one have commented it. I know it for years. Saludos,
José
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Guillermo and Rein:
Have you noticed the "grilled" background in the 10c chesnut Rivadavia perfin? (In other ohiti too) I understand this effect is provoked by the strucuture of paper that altered the felt side, enhanced by or during the coating process. I would like to hear your opinions as this effect is very common but up to now no one have commented it. I know it for years. Saludos,
José
Responder

Volver a “Patriots and Resources I”