And the sun is shining!

Serie "Libertad con Escudo" ó "República Sentada" impresa por la CSBB en 1899-1903.
Responder
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

And the sun is shining!

Mensaje por Rein »

Early smilies from Argentina:

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Do the eyes and the nose go apart or do they stick together??
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: And the sun is shining!

Mensaje por Rein »

Getting close enough to the first watermark there is a sad little animal inside the Sun!

Imagen
Rene.Jacobsohn
Usuario Verificado
Usuario Verificado
Colecciono: Todas las emsiones 1892 - 1910, muy especializadas
Canje de Sellos: Si

Mensaje por Rene.Jacobsohn »

Hello Rein

I guess the 3 watermarks you show are on stamps of the LIBERTY issue of 1899. The factory obviously was not very good at maintaining a good qualaity standard of the wm. I have noted similar varieties and dont think they deserve speical attention.

Kind regards,
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

René,

this was meant to be "tongue in cheek"!

But I do not agree with you that any variation in the watermarks is not worth studying and should there be some system in it be worth mentioning it in the catalogues....

You have noted similar varieties so it is not just my observation!
zakur
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por zakur »

I was fearing Rein had smelled so much bencine when he found those watermarks.... :-)
www.albumdeestampillas.com.ar
albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

I do not use benzine at all as I fear my brains get transparent ...... My scanner is 100cm away from my brains so that should be save enough :)
Rene.Jacobsohn
Usuario Verificado
Usuario Verificado
Colecciono: Todas las emsiones 1892 - 1910, muy especializadas
Canje de Sellos: Si

Mensaje por Rene.Jacobsohn »

Hi Rein

Of course each and every collector is 100% free to be interested in whatever he likes. I agree with you that catalogos could mention the phenomenon you describe. But certainly not catalogue them with numbers and so on. This would virtually be impossible. An example; in the 1892/99 (3 Presidents) issue plate flaws abound. I exhibit maybe 4 or 5 of them which are visible with the naked eye, all the rest would be a never ending story, at least for me. I have discussed this matter with a number of people (international judges and other top collectors) who share my view. But if you love these varieties, go ahead and enjoy them! Kindest regards,

René
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

René,

this is not the place to discuss things, but I would like to make a difference between systematical ly occuring phenomena and at random ones. In the latter case a few remarkable examples may give splendour to your rcollection but in the case of systematically occuring phenomena even the tiniest dot may help us farther in our research...

In the world of collectors who display their impressive collections on world-wide platforms and their jurors - the international judges - it is barely the in-depth research that counts! What counts is the impressive, wealth reflecting glamour of their collections that should attract new masses towards philately! That is where the money goes in philately...
patagonian

Mensaje por patagonian »

Volviendo al tema que inició este topic, adjunto un detalle de las CUATRO filigranas de esta serie, según el artículo de Federico Scneider del 25/oct/1913 para la revista de la Sociedad Filatélica Argentina, reproducida en las "Selecciones Filatélicas" Nro. 3 de 1983.

Las tres primeras, en las que los ojos del sol son dos puntitos, son agrupadas por Petrovich como "Sol Chico", y la otra en la cual ojos y nariz se representan con una línea quebrada, "Sol Grande".

3Proc_filis.jpg

Asimismo rescato del mencionado artículo un análisis estadístico del autor sobre la abundancia relativa de los diferentes dentados, que nos dá una idea de la rareza de algunos de ellos.

3Proc_estad_dent.jpg
[/color]
No tienes los permisos requeridos para ver los archivos adjuntos a este mensaje.
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Nestor!

Great, but how about the relative scarceness of the "watermarks"???

Watermark in between citation quotes as the "chico" is not a watermark but a controll mark pressed into the paper later on, just as the Swiss ellips+cross in the late 1890-ies of the Swiss postage stamps....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

René,

The guiding dots I have seen them so far in the 1892 Rivadavia series and the 1910 Centennial, but not in the "Libertad con Escudo".

Isn't that strange!??!?

1892 definitives:

http://www.filateliaargentina.com.ar/fo ... =85&t=1625

1810-1910 Centennial:

http://www.filateliaargentina.com.ar/fo ... =53&t=1705

Examples:

1c:

Imagen

Imagen
Responder

Volver a “"Libertad con Escudo" 1899-1903”