1982-1984 Flowers galore

Topics about Argentina Philately in english language.

Moderador: Rein

zeus25971
Site Admin
Site Admin
Colecciono: Argentina Mint general,cuadros Primer dia
Alemania Reich, bundes y berlin en nuevo y usado
Hiperinflacion en alemania (1923)
Correo Neumatico Aleman hasta 1945 (Rorhpost)
Zussamendruckes de Alemania Reich y occidental
Canje de Sellos: No
Contactar:

Re: 1982-1984 Flowers galore

Mensaje por zeus25971 »

Just an small question, how do you realize if a paper is tizado or not?

Regards
Luis
Dedicarse a voltear hamburguesas no te quita dignidad. Tus abuelos tenían una palabra diferente para describirlo: le llamaban oportunidad.

Goethe: "Sammler sind glückliche Menschen"
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

The new aspect both writers like Espejo and Solari stress is the effect of a paper under the Ultraviolet lamp!

In the late 1950-ies the general use of Optical Brightening Agents started to make everything WHITER than WHITE! Washing powders were the first target. And with the OBA's in the the textile fibres, the OBA found its way in the papers by means of white fluorescent fibers contrasting with the remainders of the paper pulp. By the early 1960-ies OBA's were deliberately added to the paper pulp as well AND to the substance used for coatings!

Fluorescence as mentioned by Espejo and Solari always refers to these OBA's. When the paper is uncoated both sides of the paper reflect the same way under UV! When the paper is coated, the front of the stamp may not let through the white fluorescence or just a little bit. Has OBA been added to the coating, it may happen that the coating gives a whiter reflection than the back of the stamp. So we should ALWAYS describe both sides of a stamp in terms of the intensity or absence/presence of OBA's!

The big problem lies in describing the intensity! You can add salt to your soup and you taste it immediately, but when you pour half a kilo of salt in it, you spoil the soup. Somehow, there is an accepted intensity you should not pass.... But when you buy pre-prepared packets of soup you got a whole range of saltiness that you cannot easily sort out in 2 or 3 subdivisions. The soup manufacturers will not let you, just be glad that they mention the amount of salt on the sachets....

The same with the paper manufacturers, the variation of OBA's can NOT be classified! It is there or not! Solari tries a "neutro", "intemedio" and "fluorescente", but that is in vain! He also refers to the back of a stamp only, not to the front that might give different results under UV.

The use of OBA has been highly discussed since the 1980-ies; it is supposed to harm the environment so it got restricted a bit (or a lot ) An OBA-free paper is the standard now, that is the OBA in the paper pulp, the coatings usually still have the OBA's!

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

zeus25971 escribió:Just an small question, how do you realize if a paper is tizado or not?

Regards
Luis
Luis,

you can "see" it if you compare it with uncoated papers! It is not always that easy, admitted. Especially when you take the PyR I around 1940!

Another aspect is the "peeling off" with modern stamps. The around 1980 Flowers show quite often the spots where the coating has been burst off! And always study the torn perforation teeth!
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

A completely new aspect, of the stamp papers in 1976-1984 period is the use of UNcoated paper with a phosphorescent "layer" or soaking....

So far, none of the flowers have been found affected, just the 1p reduced sized numeral.....

rc2482
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

And for the 1965-1969 period, the Tizado Varioloso is a great recognition help!

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1501&p=7888&hilit=varioloso#p7888
zeus25971
Site Admin
Site Admin
Contactar:

Mensaje por zeus25971 »

Hi rein, when I take a look at the $400 sheet I realize that in the margin the color proof for "cyan" are this
cyan400.jpg
As you can see....is far away for the original cyan. Can you explain the reasons to make that decission and finally, is the only value I see that one color has been changed. All the other values I have the 4 colours are the standard CMYK.

Best regards
Luis
No tienes los permisos requeridos para ver los archivos adjuntos a este mensaje.
Dedicarse a voltear hamburguesas no te quita dignidad. Tus abuelos tenían una palabra diferente para describirlo: le llamaban oportunidad.

Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Luis,

the 400 is a bit greener than the $a50,00 or the ₳0,05, but in individual stamps the difference is none.

Before 1982 Casa de Moneda hardly printed any 4-colour stamps in photogravure on the Goebel press. Only the 1968 balloon stamp has 4 colours. And that was not even in CMYK :)
ntrm
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por ntrm »

Permiso...

En los Sellos $ Ley, solamente el valor $ 400 tiene la barra verde en lugar de la celeste, despues solo cambian en el orden en ciertos valores.

En los sellos $a estan las cuatro en distintas combinaciones.
En el $a 30 hay solo una barra, la negra
En el $a 50 la barra celeste es reemplazada por la verde

y en los A en:

A 0.03 esta solo la barra negra
A 0.05 la barra celeste esta reemplazada por la verde
A 0.085 solo las barras negra y roja en el margen superior
A 0.10 (algunas) Solo las barras celeste y naranja
A 0.20 no tiene barras de colores
A 500 dos tiradas bien definidas, una con dos barras celeste y negra y otra con tres barras, rojo, celeste y negra.

De "Series ordinarias: Flores Argentinas, de Miguel Giliberti, ACFA"

Martin
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Martin!

Thanks!

How can I lay my hands on that article by Miguel??

I also would love to have a closer look at Espejo....
zeus25971
Site Admin
Site Admin
Contactar:

Mensaje por zeus25971 »

Rein, a new issue for you. I was checking out my stock of used $a 0.10 Ph/N and I find out a really strange thing. A set of Stamps has Ph reaction in the front and F ( intense ) in the back. Also the paper is thicker than the one measured in standard paper mentioned by espejo ( Tipo II ). Maybe this is a different paper that was "coated" on both sides?

Best regards
Luis

Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

zeus25971 escribió:Rein, a new issue for you. I was checking out my stock of used $a 0.10 Ph/N and I find out a really strange thing. A set of Stamps has Ph reaction in the front and F ( intense ) in the back. Also the paper is thicker than the one measured in standard paper mentioned by espejo ( Tipo II ). Maybe this is a different paper that was "coated" on both sides?

Best regards
Luis

Luis,

a lot is possible!

I mentioned here a 25p Quebracho that has no coating at the front but a Tizado Varioloso at te back! And i also found a 1p red/black numeral with NO coating at the front, but still phosphorescent,.

So your $a0,10 can still show phosphorescence at the front having NO coating! And the coating can be at the back! The fact that the back is stark white fluorescent can indicate that, but usually the washed off stamps have attracted OBA's from the covers they were on....

I am still studying the papers of the flowers right now, found a new type of Tizado Varioloso with extremely small needle pin holes!
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Gradually digging into the papers of the Flowers again, it seems feasible to take the phosphorescents first:

Solari sees 3 types: TP, SP and MP [t=tizado, s=semi-mate, m=mate]. He could be right, but the main division is the Tizado or clearly varnished and the rest; the others are barely varnished or not at all [?].

The clearly varnished are:

200, 300, 400, 500, 800, 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000! According to Solari the 300 and 5000 exist only [semi]mate, this is wrong. I do have the 500, 2000 in [semi]mate and the other values may exist as well.

The phosphorescent $a values and ₳ values have the [semi]mates only, although Solari mentions a $a 10,00 with tizado. On the other hand I have a $a 5,00 with clearly varnished paper! So we need to be on the watch-out!

The clearly varnished have the varnish ALL-over the printed stamp, the other type has a partial varnish if visible at all. The ckearly varnished have a thickness of over 100μ, the others are below 100μ.... They feel more flexible and easier to bend along the short axis.
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Tizado varioloso micro!

available for most $a and ₳ values in the fluorescent versions!

Imagen
Imagen

minute holes in the coating! Always round and in groups! Similar paper but with irregular shapes and not grouped holes have to be studied as well, but it is certainly belonging to a different quality!

rc2489
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

TV Micro

$a values:

0.50, 1.00, 2.00, 3.00, 5.00, 10.00, 20.00, 30.00, 50.00, 100.00; ₳ 0.10 on $a 1.00

values:

0.005, 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.50
bear in mind that the ₳2 and higher values were issued in 1987-1990!
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

The catalogues GJ but also Solari make a big mess out of the types of paper for this series just as they did for the other definitives of the 1982-1994 period!

By assigning the 10c Fungus "satinado" - both Solari and GJ - they forget that all these stamps were printed on COATED paper and had some varnish added to the print later. To a rather small extent, though, so that explains the "semi mate".

I will not go into the matter of luminescence here, as it is a continuum of OBA's in the paper pulp AND the coating denoted for the Fungi by FF, Ff, fF and ff whereas the first is the front and the second the back; "f ' is less white than "F"!

It is VERY STRANGE that Solari has made this distinction only for the Fungi series as the 3 Flowers sets have different fronts as to OBA as well! At least ff and FF should have been used there!

Imagen

The first 3 stamps have the same type of pockmarked surface. Not round holes but irregular shapes in a high frequency! The Flowers have this type of paper too, but usually to a much lesser extent.

The second 50c stamp is "normal"

Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen
Responder

Volver a “Argentina Philately in the language of Shakespeare”