English paper - coarse mesh AKA Tela - 1941-1952?

Topics about Argentina Philately in english language.

Moderador: Rein

Responder
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

English paper - coarse mesh AKA Tela - 1941-1952?

Mensaje por Rein »

In 1941 an English type of paper got introduced for Argentinean stamps - not only the definitives but also most of the Commemoratives of that period.

The paper mesh we see comes from a weave that has vertical lines/threads and horizontal threads of various densities; the usual density is 28-30 vertical threads(warp) per horizontal centimeter AND some 20 horizontal threads (weft) per vertical centimeter! The gauges noted as follows - 28/20, 30/20, 24/20, etc...

The so-called Tela paper has a grid/wire gauge of 24/22; I will show you the original English stamps as well for comparison.

24/22 diagonal lines at 47 and -47 degrees

Imagen

Imagen

28/20, diagonal lines at 58 and -58 degrees

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: English paper - coarse mesh AKA Tela - 1941-1952?

Mensaje por Rein »

Ministerial » 08 Sep 2009 09:50 escribió:
Rein escribió: A question that occurred to me from time to time is how the Casa de Moneda did get her paper supplies.

English paper in 1941 (Tela); Italian paper in 1942 (Rayos rectos difusos) ???

Were there no blockades??? Freight-ships that had to transport tons of paper reels??? A North-American paper that was used in 1943 seems less problematic... But import from Europe during the war?
Up to March 27, 1945 (when Argentina declare war to Japan and Germany), Argentina was a neutral country, so commerce with both sides was, in theory, possible. My two cents!

Ministerial

I had not realised that! Thanks!

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

José Merlo once wrote to me that he had seen several English Colonies stamps issued before the Second World War . I had my doubt about until I run across a New Zeland stamp which obviously had Tela!

The stamp belonged to a pre-war Pictorial issue! Looking it up in my NZ Campbell Patterson specialized catalogue of New Zealand I found out a type of paper - Wiggins Teape - that was referred to as Coarse Mesh in contrast with a Fine Mesh.

The New Zealand collectors can probably compete with the Argentine as types of papers go! The notion of "mesh" is of prime importance to them - it will take the Argentine collectors still some time to use the "eje de enrollamiento" as their prime notion in studying paper! :)

However, the coarse paper got introduced in September 1941 and lasted - with breaks till 1952.

Does the use of Tela has something to do with Wartime conditions??? Will paper gets manufactured quicker using less energy or water???

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

The New Zealand stamps:

Imagen

Imagen

The 1d King George has a fine mesh!

Imagen
Imagen

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Re: Tela paper - the English paper 1941-1945
Sarcosis » Yesterday 23:46 escribió:
Hola Rein como estas? Hi Rein how are you?
Sabes si hay papel Tela para este sello? Aca tengo una duda con los mios. Do you know if there is a Tela paper for this stamp? I have a doubt with mines. Are the two of this 'Tela'?

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. Thanks for your help.
Saludos
Sergio
Sergio,

thanks! I am fine doing my best to be the horse-fly in the fleece of the Argentinean philatelists ;) See my recent 1c Girasol postings...

Imagen

No, this stamp does not have Tela! When you look at the blue lines I have drawn you will see - turn your head slightly - that they run parallel to lines of blackish dots in the paper! The blue lines make an angle of 30 or 60 degrees with the horizon whereas Tela will have the lines make an angle of about 45 degrees!

saludos, Rein
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein:
I see you have helped me with the studies of meshes on English papers. I`m glad to know, for your investigations, that the tela paper I told you about long ago belongs to Wiggings Teape.
On the other hand, regarding the origin of the RR paper I must tell you that it was told to me by a veteran executive of Grafex, the importer that sold it to CdM, that its origin was Italian, which confirmed a comment from a collector living in Rosario, Santa Fe province, who in the `50s told me he had an Italian stamp printed on RR paper!! I never saw that stamp but is too much chance that I had a confirmation some 40 years later. I regret I did not note down the name of the company the executive gave me, but I think it`s Cartiere Pietro Milano in Bolzano, Italy which also solt to CdM the exagons paper. Saludos,
Merlo
Responder

Volver a “Argentina Philately in the language of Shakespeare”